Do you like to cook for your friends and family? Have you ever cooked ‘slow cooker Texas pulled pork’? It is juicy, tender, and enjoyed by people from all age groups. Whether it is a camping trip or dinner with friends – slow cooler Texas pulled pork is always a treat to eat. But is it challenging to make? Not at all. If you plan and follow the recipe correctly, you will be able to do it. Here is all you need to know to make slow cooker Texas Pulled Pork at home!
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make a slow cooker Texas Pulled Pork. The original recipe serves eight people. Hence, you might need to tweak the proportions accordingly:
- Pork shoulder roast – four pounds
- Vegetable oil – one teaspoon
- Barbeque sauce – one cup
- Apple cider vinegar – half a cup
- Chicken Broth – half a cup
- Brown Sugar – one-fourth of a cup
- Yellow mustard – one tablespoon
- Worcestershire Sauce – one tablespoon
- Chilli powder – one tablespoon
- Large onion chopped – one
- Garlic cloves crushed – two
- Dried thyme – one and a half teaspoons
- Hamburger buns – eight
- Butter – two tablespoons
Directions / Steps
To make a slow cooker Texas Pulled Pork, you need to follow the recipe perfectly. Pork is difficult to cook, so make sure that you have a lot of time in hand. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make pulled pork texas slow cooker.
- Step one
You will have to take one teaspoon of vegetable oil and pour it inside a slow cooker.
- Step two
The next step is to take out the pork and place it inside the cooker. After that, you have to add one cup of barbecue sauce and a half cup of chicken broth to it. In addition, you need to pour half a cup of apple cider vinegar. Most importantly, make sure that you stir the mixture properly.
- Step three
You will have to add brown sugar to the mixture. Make sure that the quantity is no more or less than 1/4th of a cup. Similarly, you will have to add to the mixture is one tablespoon of yellow mustard. To spice up the mixture, add one tablespoon of chili powder and one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. Don’t forget to stir while adding these ingredients!
- Step four
Now it is time for you to add the vegetables to the cooker. Therefore, you need to crush two cloves of garlic and add them to the mixture. Similarly, you have to add one chopped onion as well. Don’t forget about the herb. Add one and a half teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Step five
Now, you have to cover the mixture and cook it at a high temperature. But make sure that you cook it for at least 5 – 6 hours. The defining feature of Easy slow cooker BBQ pulled pork is that you should shred the pork easily. Hence, you have to put in a significant amount of time to cook it.
- Step six
After 5-6 hours, you will have to remove the pork from the cooker. Take two forks and shred the pork meat as much as you can. Do not hurry. It might take you a while. After it is done, return the shredded meat to the cooker. Moreover, don’t forget to stir it to let the juices seep inside the meat.
- Step seven
You have to take a little bit of butter and spread it inside the hamburger buns. After that, you will have to toast these buns. Make sure that you toast while keeping the buttered side down. It is highly recommended to use a skillet for this process. Toast these buns on medium heat till they turn golden brown. You will then have to use a spoon and get some meat inside the bun.
Cooking slow cooker Texas pulled pork is a laborious process. Therefore, to make it perfect, here are some tips that you can refer to:
- It would be best if you tried to use pork shoulder cut to make this dish. However, if it is unavailable, you can use pork neck instead. Chefs recommend using pork shoulder as it has marbling which makes the meat extremely tender.
- You can remove the meat from the cooker when the temperature reaches 75 degrees Celsius/ 165 degrees Fahrenheit. But to make the meat more tender, you may want to leave it till the temperature is around 90 degrees Celsius or 195 degrees Celsius.
- It would be best if you always trimmed the fat on the pork. While a smaller amount of fat will melt into the meat, large chunks might make the meat too mushy.
- Make sure that you leave the pork inside the cooker for 15 mins after shredding it. As a result, the juices will seep inside the meat properly.
- You can eat slow cooker Texas pulled pork with a lot of things. You can always eat it with toasted buns. Similarly, you can use the leftovers as a filling for tacos. Likewise, you can use it as a dip as well and eat it with nachos.
- It would be best if you stored it in an air-tight container and kept inside the freezer in case of any leftovers. However, you need to make sure that it is used up within 2-3 months.
If you follow this recipe to make a slow cooker Texas pulled pork, the total calorie count of this dish will be around 528 calories. Moreover, here are some nutritional facts about this dish that you need to know:
- Sodium: 802.7 mg
- Protein: 31.9g
- Carbohydrates: 45.5 g
- Dietary fiber: 2.6 g
- Fat: 23.3 g
- Sugar: 17.1 g
- Iron: 3.3 mg
- Potassium: 606.2 mg
- Magnesium: 45.7 mg
- Thiamin: 1g
- Saturated fat: 8.7 mg
- Calcium: 119.2 mg
- Folate: 57.8 mg
This is the best slow cooker recipe to make slow cooker Texas pulled pork. You may tweak it a little, depending on what flavors you want and how many people you are cooking it for. Above all, it is an extremely flexible dish that you in different ways. Since there are many ingredients, make sure that you place them all on the kitchen counter before you start cooking.